Let's get you up to speed......

I. Am. A. Ninth Grader. Wow.

I can't believe how fast the final semester of 8th Grade ended. I had a nice holiday. Went out of the country and roamed all over Hongkong, with a short stint to Macau and then Singapore. And of course, all over malls with some of bestest of friends :)

It's been taking some getting used to all of the new surroundings. New class, new friends, new teachers. I had to constantly remind myself that I was not "8A/23" anymore. I am now, and proud to be "9B/16" :)

My class adviser is Sir Darma, and the decor of the class really reflects what he teaches: Biology. Complete with a small aquarium filled with goldfishes and guppies, and small potted plants airing out the classroom, I have to say, the whole atmosphere it quite COZY. :D

Sir Darma is known for being a creative yet perfectionist teacher. Though he might be easily-overworked, I know he wants the best from us 9B kids, the students put under his care, to help find our true potential. His ways may not be the most preferable, but his intentions are good.

I've been managing to handle classes so far. I've found a new sense of purpose, diligently slaying homework beasts that spill out of schoolbag with such... gusto.... that I've been getting a lot of things done in front of schedule.

One of my commitments for the upcoming year, is to become more active outside of the academic stuff. And yes, that includes: AYC :)

The Asean Youth Convention was the start of beautiful friendships and everlasting memories. It was definitely the best 10 days of my life last year. And a year has passed since then. One of the things we did when us delegates arrived home was to spread some Youth Empowering fever! Just last July, a number of students attended GYCi (Global Youth Congress International) sister event to AYC, GYF (Global Youth Forum). It was nice to see some friends depart on an inspiring experience and come back with a little more youthful panache ;)

Tomorrow even, another batch of kids will fly to Singapore to attend the 3rd AYC. Damn, I really wish I could go with. But the registration was open to 8th Graders only, and I do have a school retreat coming up that conflicts with it. I have, though, enjoyed taking a 'consultant' position, sharing personal experiences and making sure that the new advocates are ready for what's in store for them.

Don't worry. Though the newbies will fly off to find their wings, us experienced AYC-ers have bigger plans to deal it at home. That is of course preparing for AYC JAKARTA! :D

Some negativity, or rather pessimism, is thickly surrounding this matter. Does no one really believe that we can prepare a huge event like this? Not just prepare it on time, but make it special, make it unique, make it OUR OWN?

Everyone has their own vision for this AYC Jakarta plan. I can sum mine up well, in this lovely little sentence:
"Deliver not only an AYC experience, but the complete INDONESIAN experience as well."
Best of luck then, to all of this talented 'future leaders' :)

Asides from that, there are tons of extra-curricular stuff going around school that I want to take part in. Apparently, I'm taking over Yudhi's Writing Club. The thing I'm focusing on is selections and finding possible writing competitions. Then there's the school's magazine, "VieR", and I really wanna make it a swell edition. And in terms of extracurricular period ("Ekskul") I've taken... Volleyball. Yes. My new athletic goal is to become good at the sport. Maybe, go professional. (My friend even laughed at this, and I admit it might sound silly, but I'm really being serious! :D)

Besides trying to maintaining this blog, I've also joined the free period class ("KIR") of: Creative Writing. Along with some other Writing Club members. And I have been working on my first novel for a while now. About to hit 50 pages of A4 paper, small font and narrow margins, so yes, that's actually quite a lot.

And... my love story? Well. I guess that's another story for another day ;)

-Karin Novelia, Going Through A Fast-Paced Life

0 comments:

Post a Comment